1 joined together into a whole; "United Industries"; "the amalgamated colleges constituted a university"; "a consolidated school" [syn: amalgamate, coalesced, consolidated, fused]
- The state of having been combined from two or more entities into one specific entity whilst retaining the defining characteristics of the original source entities.
- Russian: объединённый (ob”jedinjónnyj)
- past of amalgamate
Amalgamation, meaning to combine or unite into one form, has several uses:
- Amalgamation (mining), the process of separation of precious metals from ore.
- Amalgamation (history), a now largely archaic term for the interbreeding of people of different ethnicities and "races".
- Amalgamation (business), the result of mergers of companies
- Amalgamation, an EP released by the band Pop Will Eat Itself in 1994.
- Amalgamation (politics), in geopolitics, refers to the joining of two or more administrative units.
- Free product with amalgamation, in mathematics, especially group theory, an important construction
- Amalgamation is a construction in model theory, a subfield of mathematical logic
- Amalgamation (fiction), the concept of creating an element in a work of fiction by combining existing things
- Amalgamation (names), the strategy of naming something after a combination of existing names
- Conflation, also known as "idiom amalgamation", the combination of two expressions.
- Amalgamation, another name for a trade union, chiefly used in the United Kingdom
Amalgam is the name given to the product of an amalgamation process. However, amalgam may also refer to (as part of a formal name):
- Amalgam, in chemistry, mining and dentistry, is the result of blending mercury with another metal or alloy
- Amalgam Comics, a metafictional American comic book publisher
- Amalgam, Gauteng, a suburb in South Africa
- Amalgam Digital, a record label
- Amalgam Virgo, a field training exercise
- Amalgam, a fictional organization in Full Metal Panic!
Amalgamated usually means something that has undergone amalgamation. However, amalgamated may also refer to (as part of a formal name):* Anglo-Amalgamated, a British film production company from the 1930s to the 1970s, responsible for some of the early "Carry On" films
- Amalgamated Broadcasting System, a short-lived American radio network during the 1930s
- Amalgamated Motor Cycles Ltd
- Fleetway Publications. formerly known as "Amalgamated Press".
- Amalgamated Studios
- Amalgamated Wireless Australasia Limited
- Amalgamated Fluorodynamics is a fictional company in the Half-Life mod Science and Industry
- Amalgamated (1917 automobile), car manufactured by the Amalgamated Machinery Corp.
- Chesham Amalgamations, a British mergers and acquisitions broking company
- Amalgamated Society of Engineers (Australia)
- Dominica Amalgamated Workers' Union
- In Botswana
- Botswana Railways Amalgamated Workers' Union
- National Amalgamated Central, Local & Parastatal Manual Workers' Union, a Botswana-based organisation
- In New Zealand
- In the United Kingdom
- In the United States and Canada
- Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steel Workers, a historical trade union
Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America
- Amalgamated Bank of Chicago, a bank founded in 1923 by the ACWA and now owned by UNITE HERE
- Amalgamated Meat Cutters, a North American trade union
- Amalgamated Transit Union, a U.S. and Canada based union
amalgamated in German: Amalgamation
amalgamated in French: Amalgamation